At the annual meeting of the company in January of 1882, not satisfied with the great work he had accomplished in his first year, Henry Knippenberg asked the board for the go ahead to build a concentrator necessary to process second class ore which was stock piling on the dumps. On June 10th of 1882, work had begun on building the large concentrator at Greenwood. This 100 ton concentrator had a telephone line that connected Glendale, Greenwood and Hecla. The concentrator ran off water power supplied by a water flume from Trapper Creek about one half mile with a vertical drop of two hundred feet processing low grade ore. A tramway was built to move ore between Hecla and Greenwood which measured about four miles in length. There were three cars, each with a brakeman which constituted a train and the empties were pulled back to the ore house at the base of Lion Mountain by Mules. The Grade was steep and when the heavily loaded cars were in motion, they occasionally jumped the track causing injury and sometimes killing the brakemen. Occasionally, the men would use the cars to transport liquor which was frowned upon by company officials. The track was also covered with a snow shed, protecting it from the elements.
(1882 July 01)
An article in the Dillon Tribune reports: Trapper Gulch has a new “city” which has sprung up suddenly. Mr. Knippenberg, the manager of the Hecla Company has named the new town “Greenwood.” A steam saw mill is engaged in cutting lumber to build up the place. The large Concentrating Works of the Hecla Company are being erected at Greenwood. It is possible that this incipient city may yet fight with Glendale for the county seat. The new town has a beautiful location, seven miles from Glendale. Greenwood may yet prove to Glendale what Hecla City has to Lion City. When the Concentrating Works are put in operation Greenwood will be a live town.
(1882 August 26)
The Hecla Company’s Big Concentrator.
No one can have any conception of the magnitude of the improvement that the Hecla Consolidated Mining Company is making at Greenwood without personally visiting the place and seeing the immense ore concentrator, now nearly completed. Greenwood is located seven miles west from Glendale on the old Lion Mountain wagon road and has been placed by General Manager Knippenberg into the mining department of the company superintended by James Parfet. The town of Greenwood contains the concentrator, a neat office located several hundred feet from the main building, a large boarding house, blacksmith shop, stable, saw mill, and three dwelling houses. The company expects soon to erect some half dozen more dwelling houses.
The Hecla Company has taken up some three or four mill sites at Greenwood and will prevent the erection of any saloons, as they are not essential to human happiness or successful mining operations. Owing to bad weather and a late spring, the concentrator was not commenced until June 10th. When one visits the place now and sees the amount of work done in so short of time he is impressed with the fact that energy has been displayed in constructing the works. Mr. Henry Kemper is the efficient master of construction and millwright and when the immense structure is finished it will certainly reflect credit on his skill as a builder.
A narrow gauge railroad is being finished with the rail from the mines to the highest point of the concentrator, a distance of three miles. The road will be completed by September 1st. A ditch and flume, one-half mile long, is nearly ready for use. The flume is two feet high and one and one-half feet wide. It carries the water from Trapper Creek to the summit of the mountain above the concentrator, and from the fore bay to the water wheel a twelve inch gas pipe is laid 575 feet. This, which is a vertical fall of 100 feet, furnishes the water power and water for the concentrator.
The water, after providing the motive power for the concentrator, passes into a large tank and from that to the trammels, jigs and tables. This arrangement was made to economize water in case of a low stage in the creek and to prevent any waste of water. The large engine now idle at Lion is to be brought down and put in place, and in case of a failure of water the concentrator will be run by steam power. The principal office of the Hecla Company’s mining department will hereafter be at Greenwood, with which an assay office will be connected. The concentrator is one of the most important mining enterprises undertaken by the Hecla Company. It will concentrate one hundred tons of second-class ore daily.
(September 1, 1882)
“The Management of Greenwood, the Hecla Company’s new town, will prevent the erection of any saloon buildings within the sacred precincts of that village. The principal office of the company is to be erected in greenwood. On November 2nd, 1882, his daughter, Miss Mamie opened the water wheel and set the machinery in motion.
(1882 November 25)
THE HECLA CONCENTRATOR AT GREENWOOD
General Manager Knippenberg, of the Hecla Consolidated Mining Company, of Glendale, has decided one of the most important questions, not only for the Hecla Company but for Montana Territory, that has troubled every mining man owning or holding low grade ores. Every mining camp or low grade quartz district in our Territory indirectly owes that gentleman a debt of gratitude for deciding for them so important a question as the successful concentration of ores of an inferior grade. About eighteen months ago Mr. Knippenberg took charge of the immense Hecla property, when he found deposited in all of mines of the Trapper district large bodies of second-class ores, assaying from seven to fifteen per cent in lead and running from twenty to fifty ounces in silver to the ton. How to make this worthless wealth available has been his constant study. During the first year of his management the condition of the mines and company made it utterly out of the question to make a great improvement, but having redeemed the property and placed it on the dividend-paying basis, the manager resolved that during the second year the work should be accomplished. During the present year there has been expended in the erection of the Greenwood Concentrator over $50,000.
On November 15th the large concentrator at Greenwood was put in operation, running day and night, and the results were entirely satisfactory. The product from the jigs was brought up to fifty-four per cent in lead and one hundred and seventeen ounces in silver to the ton; the table product was brought up to fifty per cent in lead and fifty-four ounces in silver; the silica was brought down as low as eleven per cent in much of the product. The loss in silver in the tailing will be materially reduced. The first few days run on the concentrator was not an average test as Supt. Parfet furnished it with Cleve and Franklin ores owned by the Hecla Co. to concentrate, as they only run seven per cent in lead. The Fort Scott Machine and Foundry Co. furnished the beautiful machinery for the concentrator, which was designed by Prof. Few Stivolinska. The Professor is a man of large experience in concentrating machinery and he has been at Greenwood for over one month.
(1883 April 21)
THE HECLA CONCENTRATOR
The Madisonian has a report, presumably from Mr. Dahler, that the Hecla Consolidated Mining Company, at Greenwood, is preparing to double the capacity of their concentrator before the year closes. The concentrator has proven a complete success, showing that Manager Knippenberg exercised wise discretion in erecting it for his company. The present capacity of the concentrator is one hundred and fifty tons of ore per day, and if this capacity is doubled all the ore extracted from the Hecla mines will be treated by the concentrator before being hauled to the furnaces at Glendale for reduction. At present all of the first-class ore is sent to the smelter in crude state. The vast ore reserves in the mines owned by the Hecla company will justify the doubling of the capacity of the concentrating works.
(1883 October 13)
One of the sixteen mule ore teams recently hauled 1,000 sacks of ore, weighing 50,300 pounds, from the concentrator at Greenwood to the smelter, at Glendale. This is probably the biggest load ever hauled, by the same kind of team, in the Territory.
(1883 December 08)
The tramway being snowed under, and the concentrator in consequence having been shut down, J.T. Murphy & Co. have to send their teams up to Lion Mountain for ore. They haul from the mines to their camp five miles below on sleds and cow hides, and from there to the smelter on wagons.
(1888 May 11)
Fatal result of an accident at the Hecla Concentrator from a gentleman from Glendale, we learn: that on Monday afternoon while Hanson Peterson was trying to put a belt on a pulley at the Hecla Concentrator, at Greenwood, he used one of his feet to keep the belt on while the machinery was in motion. Peterson’s foot was caught between the belt and pulley, and he was thrown from the scaffold on which he was standing a distance of nearly fifteen feet to the floor underneath. He received a concussion of the brain and spine, from which he died early the next morning.The deceased was a Norwegian by birth, and leaves a wife and one child.
(1890 April 11)
The concentrator at Greenwood is being rapidly repaired for the summer run. New tables for the concentration of slimes are being put up, under the able direction of H. Kemper, and it is expected that better work will be turned out this year than any year previous. The works will be started as soon as the weather will permit.
(1890 May 09)
The Hecla company’s concentrator at Greenwood started up on May 1st, and is running day and night.
Welcome to Greenwood.......